Use a form to update an existing record in Airtable

Welcome to the 3 Rings Community!

In this thread, you can ask questions and discuss the inventory template. If you ask a question, you’ll hear from me! Download the template below.

The template:

The Video:

Don’t be shy… ask your question here!

Hello to the whole community!
I had a question when generating the link. In the example you use Guest ID and Guest Name, but in my case I want to use the variables Project and Accounts, which are multi select. When I create the link I see all the options that are in these variables, but in the form I only see the first of them.
Here you have some pictures of what I’m talking about:

• Fields:

• Link:

• Formula:

• Form

Any idea how I can fix this?
Thank you very much in advance!

Hello again, it hasn’t been long since my previous post!
In case someone has the same problem as me, the solution is to associate the same parameter to two different values. What I have done to get to the solution is to replace the separator ", " by the parameter with multiple values, in this case “prefill_projects” and to avoid problems later with some characters, I have directly replaced the spaces by “%20”. Here are some images of the solution (a picture is worth a thousand words)
With the same example:

Hi Laura,
Welcome to the community and congratulations on figuring it out on your own! I’ll just offer one tip that you may find useful: the function ENCODE_URL_COMPONENT() will automatically replace the space with “%20” and any other special characters (such as commas) as well.

So you should be able to write

..."prefill_projects="&ENCODE_URL_COMPONENT({Projects})

to achieve the same effect. For example, I changed the “Dinner” option to multiple select in both the “Guests” and the “RSVP” tables in the video example. Then, for Jason Momoa, I chose two dinners:

Screenshot 2023-06-14 at 10.54.13 AM

Wrote the formula like this:

Screenshot 2023-06-14 at 10.54.30 AM

This was the formula result for Jason Momoa:

Screenshot 2023-06-14 at 10.54.22 AM

And this is what the prefilled form looked like:

I don’t know if I’m understanding well but I’ve tried to do that first and the link didn’t work as expected:

That substitutes comma and “&” and the final form won’t show all the options:

And that is why I dispensed with ENCODE_URL_COMPONENT() function and instead used SUBSTITUTE()

If I’m missing something, I’m all ears! Thanks por your tip

You’re totally right! I tried prefilling a linked record field like you did, instead of a multiple select (which is what I was using before) and I got the same problem you did.

After messing with it, I can provide a little more context to why it’s not working, and why your solution works. It appears that Airtable doesn’t like the space after the comma. So if the prefill options are “Booking Pronovias, Ladybird” (URL encoded) it only accepts the first value. But if they’re written “Booking Pronovias,Ladybird” (URL encoded), then it works. So you should also be able to get it to work like this:

'https://airtable.com/yourformURL?'&'?prefill_projects=" & ENCODE_URL_COMPONENT(SUBSTITUTE(projects,", ",","))

Which is incredibly similar to your solution, but hopefully the context is slightly useful :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Julian,
Thanks for this tutorial. I have similar case but not exactly the same and I am wondering if you could help. I do have a database of records with a number of columns corresponding to each record. Now I would like to send out an email to the database in order to confirm the data they have given in previous communication (original table) and additionally I would like them to confirm their willingness to take part in the competition (checkbox) and approve new consent (checkbox). I would expect to direct them to a form page with some prefilled records (email, name etc) along with new fields (consent). After submitting the form records from original table should be updated. Is that possible and how can I achieve that. Appreciate your help.

Hi Greg,
Yes! This is totally possible. There are two parts to achieving this:

1. Setting up a second form that has all of the original fields PLUS the competition + consent questions.
  2. Creating a new formula field that takes your new form URL from step 1 and prefills all of the existing information. In order to do that, check out the last chapter in my video on prefilling forms here

Hi! I did this, and then I tried to use the prefill link in an automation but it didn’t work properly. Then I discovered it had removed the underscore after the two “Prefill” I had in the link.

What can I possibly do?

Hey here! So I been trying to figure out what step to take from here so that a new record doesn’t get added each time a user selects Week 1, Week 2, etc. via this particular form they are submitting.

That is, I want the form to just update the Points with +10 each time the user submits the same form week after week.

Can I get help here? Thanks!

Hmm… I’ve never seen an underscore get removed before. Can you share a screenshot of what’s happening?

Hi Fi2! Does the point value change potentially every week, or is it always the same amount added? If it might change, you could change that “Impact” field to a Rollup field type in your first table (not the one with the form). To do this, you need to first go to the table with the form, and add a linked record field that allows you to link each form submission to the record in the first table. Then your Rollup can add up the points from every form submission that was linked to it.

1 Like

This is what my link looks like before I add it to an automation:
[https]://airtable.com/appfMFxEWOAAEUJr0/shrS1f9jCbS9zz31f?prefill_Tutor%20ID=recw11YnCsEoE3oOW&prefill_Discord%20nickname=Fi2&hide_Tutor%20ID=true&hide_Weekly%20point=true

And after adding it to an automation:
[https]://airtable.com/appfMFxEWOAAEUJr0/shrS1f9jCbS9zz31f?prefillTutor%20ID=recGcRFoxlHVSyyqb&prefill Discord%20nickname=Fi2&hideTutor%20ID=true&hide Weekly%20point=true

*I’ve intentionally made bad links so you can see the actual url

Will try this. Thanks!

Can you describe more about the automation? What is the trigger you’re using? Where is the URL coming from and entering your automation? What is the automation doing with your URL?

If you are entering the URL into an email, the likely cause is that Airtable is interpreting the underscores as Markdown syntax. Using underscores on either side of text will bold that text in an email. If this is the cause, you can actually use the Markdown to your advantage. By using brackets and parentheses like in this Airtable documentation, you can create a formatted hyperlink. The text in the brackets is how the link will show, and the text inside the parentheses is the URL. More info on Markdown for Airtable here
Screenshot 2023-10-04 at 11.02.13 AM

Sure! So:

1. I created a form that when filled, puts tutors into a table and generates a unique ID for them the way I learned in your video.

2.Then I used it in an automation as regular - like this:
link

Try my suggestion above with the markdown, So it looks like this:

I’ve done this but it hasn’t worked out :smiling_face_with_tear:.